Sunday, February 15, 2009

I've Been Pretty Busy

Well, OK, I've been kinda busy lately.


I've been spending a lot of time reading. I've been neglecting my books for a while and now I'm on a major reading binge.


I've read about half of my Darkover series, plus some I picked up last week at the local Friends of the Library bookstore -- Exile's Song, Shadow Matrix and Traitor's Sun. I ordered the next one, The Alton Gift, plus a Patricia Briggs and another Norton book last night online.

I'm also working my way back through my collection of Andre Norton.

Plus I'm currently reading Lucy by Donald Johanson and Maitland Edey.

I'm such a book fiend, little do my friends know, unless they've been to my house. Even then, most of them don't know that I still have boxes of books in the spare bedroom and about five boxes under my bed.

I've always been a voracious reader.

I've been trying to remember when I started reading everything I could get my hands on. I remember when I was young, my parents had a little nook in the living room where my dad had his reloading gear. And one entire wall was books and magazines like Popular Science and Popular Mechanics (oh, I wish I had those today!!) That was where I discovered the Hardy Boys (the old series, not the new stuff) and Edgar Rice Burroughs, I think it was Cave Girl.

I also remember that there was this school librarian that thought she should limit my reading to what SHE thought was an appropriate reading level. I didn't know it until years later, but my parents went in and had a little discussion with her about my reading abilities. So she stopped trying to tell me that I couldn't read the upper grade level books. And I read and read and read...

People, I have to tell you, having parents that read plus many books and magazines in the house really led me down the reading road.

Now, my own kids? Yes, they read, but not as much as I do.

LOL, then again, most people don't read as much as I do.

No comments: